Early Canid Domestication: The Farm-Fox Experiment
Foxes bred for tamability in a 40-year experiment exhibit remarkable transformations that suggest an interplay between behavioral genetics and development
This article is dedicated to the memory of Dmitry K. Belyaev.
The research was supported by grants RBD000 and RBD300 from the
International Scientific Funds, grants 93-04-06936 and
96-04-49972 from the Russian Fund of Fundamental Research, and
grant 1757 of the Russian University Fund. The author expresses
her gratitude to Anna Fadeeva for translation of the manuscript
from Russian into English. She is also grateful to Irina
Plysnina for help during preparation of the manuscript and to
Yekaterina Omelchenko for technical assistance.
- Belyaev, D. K. 1969. Domestication of animals. Science Journal (U.K.) 5:47–52.
- Belyaev, D. K. 1979. Destabilizing selection as a factor in domestication. The Journal of Heredity 70:301–308.
- Belyaev, D. K., A. O. Ruvinsky and L. N. Trut. 1981. Inherited activation-inactivation of the star gene in foxes. The Journal of Heredity 72:264–274.
- Belyaev, D. K., and L. N. Trut. 1982. Accelerating evolution. Science in the USSR 5:24–29, 60?64.
- Falconer, D. S. 1981. Introduction to Quantitative Genetics. New York: Longman.
- Logvinenko, N. S., P. M. Krass, L. N. Trut, L. N. Ivanova and D. K. Belyaev. 1979. Genetics and phenogenetics of hormonal characteristics of animals. V. Influence of domestication on ontogenesis of estrogen- and progesterone-secreting functions of ovaries and adrenals in silver fox females. Genetica 15:320–326 (in Russian).
- Morey, D. F. 1994. The early evolution of the domestic dog. American Scientist 82:336–347.
- Raff, R. A., and T. C. Kaufman. 1983. Embryos, Genes and Evolution. New York: Macmillan Publishing Company.
- Scott, J. P., and J. L. Fuller. 1965. Genetics and the Social Behavior of the Dog. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Trut, L. N. 1988. The variable rates of evolution transformations and their parallelism in terms of destabilizing selection. Journal of Animal Breeding and Genetics 105:81–90.
- Trut, L. N. 1996. Sex ratio in silver foxes: effects of domestication and the star gene. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 92:109–115.
- Wayne, R. K. 1993. Molecular evolution of the dog family. Trends in Genetics 9:218–224. [CrossRef]
- Zeuner, F. T. 1954. Domestication of animals. In A History of Technology, Volume I, ed. C. Singer, E. J. Holmyard, A. R. Hall and T. I. Williams. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
» Post Comment